Marc Almert Selection
The Baur au Lac Vins wine stores offered Marc Almert the opportunity to create his own Marc Almert Wein-Selection — a portfolio of wines that captivated his palate and his emotions.
Marc’s own stories about these wines can be seen and heard on his Blog.
Sommelier & Speaker
Marc’s passion is contagious and his wine knowledge is seemingly inexhaustible. His charming and entertaining manner of conveying the essence of wine has made him a popular speaker at wine fairs, seminars and online tastings. The native of Cologne — and avowed Riesling fan — naturally enjoys moderating discussions on German wine. But he also enjoys talking about the wines of his chosen home, Switzerland; the many facets of Austrian wine; classics of the wine world; the terroir of Spain and France; the joys of far-away New Zealand; and his (no longer quite secret) love for South Africa. The mere mention of indigenous varieties also always puts a smile on his face.
Trainings, competitions & awards
- Sommelier of the year 2021 Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung December 2021
- SVS Sommelier of the Year 2021 (Deutschschweizer Sommelier Verband) October 2021
- Honorary prize of the Cologne Fine Food Days August 2021
- Falstaff Switzerland Sommelier of the Year March 2020
- Michelin Switzerland Sommelier Award 2020 February 2020
- ASI Best Sommelier of the World 2019 March 2019
- 1st Place “Sommelier Trophy der Sommelier Union Deutschland”, Hamburg November 2017
- 1st Place Gaggenau International Sommelier Awards, Vienna October 2016
- 1st Place Wines of South Africa International Sommelier Cup, Cape Town September 2016
- 2nd Place “Sommelier Trophy der Sommelier Union Deutschland”, Hamburg October 2015
- 1st Place “Concours National des Jeunes Sommeliers Chaîne d. Rôtisseurs Allem.”” April 2015
- Finale of the “Spanien Wein Trophy 2014 Deutschland” June 2014 June 2014
- 2nd Place “Concours National des Jeunes Sommeliers Chaîne d. Rôtisseurs Allem.” April 2014
- 1st Place “DEHOGA-Jugendmeisterschaften Köln” March 2011
- Lecturer at the IHK Genuss Akademie München since August 2021
- Honorary member of the Swiss German Sommelier Association since October 2020
- Vice-President of the German Sommelier Association, before that member of the advisory board since November 2020
- Member of the ASI Education Committee sinnce Dezember 2019